Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lighting up the night sky...

SimonMorris71 has added a photo to the pool:

Lighting up the night sky...

New Brighton, along with fireworks and its modern looking pier - located approximately 20 minutes north of Christchurch.

Originating from the UK, I was surprised to find that New Zealand also celebrates the 5th November - Guys Fawkes... but rather than the lighting of bonfires (as in the UK) they celebrate with just fireworks instead!

Looking back to that November night, some friends had mentioned earlier in the week that New Brighton always puts on a superb firework display - organised by Christchurch City Council. So, along we went to see what all the fuss was about!

We arrived extra early to allow myself time to choose a suitable position in which to photograph from. I don't think I've ever seen so many cameras and tripods in one location - they were everywhere. It didn't take me long to find a vantage point, whilst my wife and son enjoyed building sandcastles on the beach.

Arriving 2 hours early was a wise decision, as the area soon got busy with both locals and people from further afield - all out to enjoy themselves... and what a fantastic display it was too, possibly one of the best firework displays we've ever attended - superb!

This was my first attempt at photographing a firework display - on the whole I'm pleased with the end result... there's always room for improvement though!

Camera Model: Nikon D700; Lens: Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G; Focal length: 35mm; Aperture: f/16; Exposure time: 5.0s; ISO: 200

Please visit my PhotoBlog or browse my Portfolio

You can also find me on Facebook and Google+ or follow me on Twitter - I look forward to hearing from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment